AirAsia Flight 8501 Crash Leaves 162 Dead

Share This Page

On December 28, 2014 at approximately 5:36 a.m. local time, AirAsia 8501 departed from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya, Indonesia bound for Singapore. Aside from the plane being roughly 16 minutes behind schedule (QZ8501 was supposed to depart at 5:20 a.m.), nothing was out of the ordinary when the Airbus A320-200 left the runway and began its journey with 162 people onboard.

AirAsia Flight 8501 Updates

AirAsia Flight 8501 - What We've Learned This Week

Air Asia Flight 8501Everything changed 41 minutes into the flight.

In order to avoid threatening clouds in their flight path, Captain Iriyanto and First Officer Remi Emmanuel Plesel contacted air traffic controllers and requested permission to climb from an altitude of 32,000 feet to 38,000 feet. Their request was denied due to heavy air traffic.

What Happened to AirAsia 8501?
What happened next has left investigators puzzled. Data from the flight recorder shows that the pilots began climbing at a rate of 6,000 feet per minute. According to Indonesia's Transport Minister Ignasius Jonan, a commercial plane normally climbs at a rate of 1,000 feet or 2,000 feet per minute. In Jonan's words, the 6,000 feet per minute climb "can only be done by a fighter jet."

Some have brought up the possibility that the pilots were under duress, possibly part of a terrorist attack...after all, what else could explain the drastic climb? But based on the information gathered by the Indonesian government, the possibility of a terrorist attack has been ruled out. Investigators told the media that no threats could be heard from the cockpit voice recorder.

The only voices that could be heard were those of the pilots, and they sounded "very busy" according to investigators. That's because the two men were busy addressing loud warning alarms that were going off before the plane disappeared from radar. This revelation has led many to speculate that the plane entered into a stall, one from which the pilots were unable to recover.

So what factors led to this tragedy? Did weather cause the crash? Mechanical failure? Or was pilot error to blame?. A preliminary report is expected to be delivered to the International Civil Aviation Organization by the end of January, and a full investigative report will likely take a year to complete.

Search Teams Still Recovering Bodies
As investigators are working to figure out what happened to AirAsia 8501, search teams are still having trouble locating and recovering the bodies of victims. Nearly a month after the crash, less than half of the victims have been recovered. Search teams have been facing high winds and strong ocean currents, preventing divers from reaching the seafloor, where many of the victims are likely still strapped into their seats.

AirAsia 8501 Timeline (Local Indonesia Time)
5:20 a.m. Scheduled departure time for QZ8501.

5:36 a.m. AirAsia departs from Surabaya International Airport in Indonesia.

6:12 a.m. Pilot asks air traffic controllers for permission to make a left turn and climb from an altitude of 32,000 feet to 38,000 feet in order to avoid clouds.

6:16 a.m. QZ8501 visible on radar.

6:18 a.m. AirAsia 8501 drops off of radar. AirAsia officials have said they lost contact at 6:24 a.m.

7:30 a.m. Scheduled landing time in Singapore (8:30 a.m. Singapore time).

7:55 a.m. AirAsia announces that Flight 8501 is missing with last known coordinates over the Java Sea between Borneo and Belitung.

QZ8501 Flight Manifest

  • 162 People Onboard (Passengers and Crew)
  • 23 'No Shows'

Passenger Nationalities

  • 149 Indonesia
  • 3 South Korea
  • 1 United Kingdom
  • 1 Singapore
  • 1 Malaysia

Flight Crew Nationalities

  • 6 Indonesia
  • 1 France