Delta Airline Accidents
Delta Air Lines Crash Lawyer
An Overview of Delta Air Lines
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Delta Air Lines, Inc., operates out of its major hubs located in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York, Salt Lake City, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Amsterdam and Tokyo-Narita.
The company began in 1928 as a crop dusting service and air mail delivery. As the company grew, it merged with or purchased other airlines, including: Northeast Airlines, Western Airlines, a part of Pan Am, Northwest Airlines, and Chicago and Southern Air Lines. It has major operations in nearly every region of the world and a mainline fleet of more than 770 aircraft. Delta, through its SkyTeam partners, operates approximately 13,000 flights each day. It is currently the largest airline in the United States.
Delta also has joint venture partnerships with international partners Air France-KLM, Alitalia and Virgin Australia. Delta is part of the SkyTeam alliance, which includes 14 other member airlines.
Through Delta's regional carrier program, it has arrangements with 10 regional carriers. In addition to Delta’s wholly owned subsidiary, Comair, it has contractual arrangements with ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. and SkyWest Airlines, Inc., both subsidiaries of SkyWest, Inc.; Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. and Shuttle America Corporation, both subsidiaries of Republic Airways Holdings, Inc.; Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. and Mesaba Aviation, Inc., both subsidiaries of Pinnacle Airlines Corp. (Pinnacle); Compass Airlines, Inc. (Compass) and GoJet Airlines, LLC, both subsidiaries of Trans States Holdings, Inc. (Trans States), and American Eagle.
Delta Air Lines transports more than 160 million customers on an annual basis, and offers flights to more than 330 destinations in 62 countries. The airline employs more than 80,000 employees worldwide.
Delta Air Lines' Accident and Incident History
Since 1947, Delta has reportedly been involved in 12 accidents, resulting in the loss of 303 people. The following is a summary of some of Delta's fatal accidents and incidents:
- On July 6, 1996, in Pensacola, Florida, two passengers died and two were seriously injured when just prior to takeoff the airplane experienced an engine failure that resulted in engine debris penetrating the fuselage.
- On August 31, 1988, in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, 12 passengers and two crew members were killed during takeoff, due to improperly configured wing flaps and slats. Baum Hedlund represented the families of two passengers killed in this accident.
- On August 2, 1985, in Delta's worst crash to date, 135 people were killed when the flight from Fort Lauderdale to Dallas/Fort Worth attempted to land during a thunderstorm.
- On July 13, 1973, 88 people died when a flight from Burlington, Vermont, to Boston, Massachusetts, crashed during its final approach due to pilot error.
- On December 20, 1972, 10 people died on a flight from Tampa, Florida, to Chicago, Illinois, that crashed during landing.
On May 17, 1953, in Waskom Texas, 19 people were killed on a flight from Dallas Love Field on approach to Shreveport, Louisiana when the plane crashed during a thunderstorm.
View additional plane crash and aviation accidents handled by Baum Hedlund:
Fighting for Truth, Justice and Accountability
The law firm of Baum Hedlund is recognized as an industry leader in aviation crash litigation. As a result of the determination of our clients and the negotiation skills of our attorneys in one particular case, the airline acknowledged responsibility and publicly apologized to crash victims and their families - the first official public airline apology in history. Read more about the crash and public apology.
Based in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., we represent clients throughout the U.S., and around the world.
For immediate assistance, or to schedule a free initial consultation or free case evaluation with an experienced lawyer regarding a Delta accident or any other aviation accident, please contact Baum Hedlund.
Free consultations • Servicios también disponible en español • Nous sommes fières d'offrir nos services en Français • 한국어로도 서비스를 제공해 드립니다 • Domestic and international aviation accident attorneys • Brochures, testimonials, and references available upon request
Our verdicts and settlements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty or prediction regarding the outcome of your case.