A. Ilyas Akbari
A. Ilyas Akbari is an attorney and a shareholder at Baum, Hedlund, Aristei & Goldman, where he focuses his practice on personal injury and wrongful death cases primarily stemming from commercial transportation accidents and pharmaceutical product liability. Ilyas holds a bioengineering degree which continues to serve him well in the investigation and discovery involved in litigation.
The story of Ilyas' career is one of overcoming obstacles and adversity in pursuit of the American Dream. At the young age of three, the Akbaris escaped from their native Afghanistan, which was on the brink of a war with the Soviets that would last nearly 10 years.
The Akbaris spent their life savings immigrating to California, where Ilyas' mother and father learned English and forged a life for themselves. His parents dreamed of seeing Ilyas graduate from college, and that dream came true in 2000 when Ilyas received a degree in bioengineering from U.C. San Diego. He then went to Southwestern Law School, where he was President of the Student Bar Association.
After leaving Southwestern, Ilyas worked as a defense lawyer, where he gained valuable insight into the opposing side of the courtroom. His passion for helping others soon guided him to Baum Hedlund, where his background in science has made him invaluable in case after case. Be it investigating chemical reactions associated with drug side effects or painstakingly researching the long-term effects of traumatic brain injuries, Ilyas is truly in his element when he is able to blend his expertise in law and science.
Ilyas has handled many airplane and helicopter crash cases for the firm, including one that sent him and other Baum Hedlund attorneys to South America, where they investigated the wreckage of the first downed Robinson R66 helicopter on behalf of the two men killed. Ilyas was also part of the team of Baum Hedlund Attorneys that secured the largest truck accident verdicts for an unmarried person in the state of Ohio's history.
In addition to his success in the courtroom, Ilyas has also served in many Plaintiffs' Committees throughout the years, including the Plaintiffs' Executive Committee for the Colgan Air crash near Buffalo, New York in 2009, the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee for the Bisphenal-A (BPA) Polycarbonate Plastic Product Liability litigation and the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Heparin Products Liability Action.
His growing list of accolades includes selections to the Southern California Super Lawyers® Rising Stars for seven years, a 10 out of 10 Superb Score from Avvo.com, and an AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating through LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell®.
Areas of Practice
- Aviation Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Trucking Accidents
- California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2006
- Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 2003
- University of California, San Diego, California
- B.S. - 2000
- Major: Bioengineering
- The Exclusionary Rule in Strict Liability Cases: A Defect in the Law , American Association for Justice - Products Liability Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 1, Fall 2010, 2010
- Current Issues of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Drones, AAJ Annual Convention – Aviation Law Section
- A Global View: What’s New In Aviation and Space Law – Litigation in the U.S. and Abroad, ABA TIPS Aviation and Space Law Committee meeting
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star, Southern California Super Lawyers, 2007 - 2016
- Avvo.com Superb Score 10 out of 10
- AV Peer Review Rated
- Listed, The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
- Recipient Provost Honors
- Recipient, Paul Wildman Scholarship, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03
- Recipient, Mary E. Waters Scholarship, 2001-02, 2002-03
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Up-and-Coming 100: 2016 Southern California Rising Stars – Top List
- Up-and-Coming 100: 2015 Southern California Rising Stars – Top List
- Nation’s Top One Percent, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member, 2003 - Present
- The American Association for Justice, Member
- International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineers, Founding Vice President, 1999 - 2000
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Biomedical Engineering Society , Member
- North American Brain Injury Society , Member
- Brain Injury Association of America , Member
- California Brain Injury Association , Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- American Bar Association: The Forum on Air and Space Law; Litigation Section and Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association